History

History of Burns School

Clementine Kendrick Burns School was originally constructed in 1922 and consisted of eight classrooms, a Music auditorium, a Home Economics Lab and an Industrial Arts room. All 7th, 8th and 9th grades for the City of Saco were located here. Later; as the need for more space occurred, the 9th grade was discontinued to make more room available. the building continued to become more crowded as the population of the city grew and in 1952 the Annex was added on to house some of the school system’s 5th and 6th grade classes as well as all of the 7th and 8th grade classes. This continued until 1974 when again population dictated the need for additional space and the Saco Middle School was built. At this time, C.K. Burns Elementary School emerged as the building for all 4th and 5th grades and gradually, over the years, the 3rd grade classes were added. In 1992, the new addition (the Howard L. Cushman Wing) was added on to make room for all the 3rd, 4th and 5th grades in Saco, a total of 30 classrooms. The population of the school continues to grow from a low of 375 students in 1974 to a projected enrollment of nearly 600 students for the 2016-2017 school year.

CK Burns Mustang  CK Burns
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2018 West Corporation. All rights reserved.